There might come a day when you end up in a car wreck with an uninsured or under-insured motorist. That will not be a great day. Uninsured and under-insured motorists are drivers who either have no insurance or don’t have the legal minimum coverage. Not carrying the legal minimum coverage means they likely don’t have enough to cover the damage or medical expenses.

So what happens when you get in a wreck with one of these motorists and you’re not at fault? That depends on whether or not you have uninsured/under-insured motorist (UM) coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will protect you from at-fault drivers without  insurance. Without it, it will be difficult to get any sort of compensation from the driver at fault.

So it’s critical to purchase UM insurance. It covers medical costs, lost employment wages, pain and suffering, and other injury-related costs. UM insurance also covers injuries from hit-and-runs. If you purchase UM insurance, you are covered even when you are riding in another vehicle.

Oklahoma minimum coverage

Even minimum coverage often isn’t enough to cover all the costs of a collision. In Oklahoma, the legal minimum car insurance coverage is as follows:

  • Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $25,000 per individual and $50,000 per wreck
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage: $25,000 per individual and $50,000 per wreck (NOTE: This coverage might be rejected)
  • Property Damage Liability Coverage: $25,000

That might look like a lot, but consider how expensive medical care and mechanical/bodywork are. Those costs will eat up minimum coverage before you know it.

Don’t try to navigate these complicated legal matters on your own. If you or someone you know has been in a collision with an uninsured or under-insured motorist, please contact Lloyd & Lloyd for a free evaluation to discuss your legal options. We’ve been helping our clients get the justice and compensation they deserve for over 40 years.

Call Us Now